What is a gastric bypass?
Today gastric bypass surgery is performed laparoscopically. This procedure is popular in the fight against obesity in the West. Bypass surgery is an effective and reliable way to get rid of excess body weight in severe obesity. Surgery implies an incision in the abdomen. The method includes two execution tactics: reduction in digestibility of nutrients and reducing the stomach. Today there are many variations of doing a bypass. But the most effective method is the creation of a small stomach through the intersection at the top by suturing loops of the small intestine. It is well tolerated by patients, leads to early resumption of vitality and life style. This is an expensive operation, to know what is the procedure in any clinic.
This procedure is very popular in America and Canada. Every year is more than one hundred thousand such operations. Through the use of modern methods, we can confidently say that the way to get rid of obesity allows you to loose up to 90% of excess weight.
What is the operation?
At the beginning of the procedure, the stomach put a special balloon, the stomach is attached a special device to it and separated. The result is a small additional pouch. After that separated the jejunum, the end of which is fastened with the stomach. The remaining part of the intestine is attached to the free end of the intestine.
The part of the stomach that is left, continues its work, produces gastric secret, etc. is the absorption the most part of calories and nutrients. The result is limited to the amount of consumed food, since the "new" stomach puts much less food than before. This bag is stretched over time and after 6 months will contain approximately 150 ml. After this procedure nutrients in the body to digest much more than before. Patients who were performed artery bypass surgery, do not suffer from diarrhea, and deficiency of healthy components, but they must take vitamins.
Surgery is highly effective of many reasons. First of all, part of the stomach, which, as it conventionally is cut off during the procedure, begins to produce a hormone called ghrelin, which is responsible for appetite. The decreased production of this hormone reduces hunger and after surgery, its level is significantly reduced. According to studies, in patients undergoing bypass surgery, ghrelin level in the blood is 70% lower than those who use diet for weight loss. This procedure eliminates hunger and strong dependence on food due to the terminationthe flow of data signals in the brain.
The second important factor contributing to weight loss after bypass surgery is the dumping syndrome. Unpleasant symptoms help to restrain the demand for sugar. The occurrence of dumping syndrome will help to eliminate from the diet sweet, as it just lost traction. This phenomenon is observed in most patients, which was done in gastric bypass surgery.
Is the output bypass surgery?
Overall, after carrying out gastric bypass patient loses about 75% of excess weight. Subject to diet, systematic exercise, you can lose even more. To date, the operation allows you to lose up to 85% of excess weight, of course, subject to all of the additional recommendations. The result of the procedure significantly improves the course of other diseases, which are present in conjunction with obesity. So, for example, gastric bypass surgery is a great way to improve the condition of diabetes. More than 95% of patients stating a fact improve or cure. The weight loss has a positive effect on other pathologies, by reducing load, which eliminates pain in the joints.
Are there any complications?
The risks that exist in this procedure do not depend so much on the operation itself, but from the patient. For example, the patient should seek to throw off those extra pounds also and independently, helping your body to eliminate fatty foods, do physical exercises, which minimizes the likelihood of risks. Patients are afraid to die of gastric bypass. Mortality in fact it does not even reach one percent. To date, operations to fight against obesity are safe and secure.
The most frequent complications are:
- the failure of anastomosis between the stomach and the intestines. This is called the inflammation of the contents of the intestine, which enters the peritoneum. The sooner this is identified the better. You can minimize this risk by checking the tightness of the connection. The likelihood of this complication is approximately 5%. The phenomenon can be eliminated by means of the termination power via the oral cavity for a certain period of time. The patient needs to be fed through a dropper;
- the formation of blood clots. This risk is present with any surgical intervention. To minimise it you need to use a special tool to thin the blood. The renewal of motor abilities after the surgery is the best solution. If you have a predisposition to this phenomenon, inform the surgeon before performing bypass surgerystomach;
- intestinal obstruction. In the course of the operation can occur coagulation bowel loops, creating a hernia. This phenomenon is observed in approximately 5% of patients. Thus, patients need surgery;
- ulcer. The resulting small gastric pouch is very sensitive, so sometimes it may appear ulcer. But this factor also depends on the patient. If the patient after surgery will smoke, the ulcer would have it. You should also exclude the use of certain medications, coordinate it with a doctor;
- stricture. In the presence of a predisposition to the formation of scars in the place of creating a new stomach to the intestine may receive the narrowing, which impedes the passage of food. This risk is likely to occur in 8% of cases. In this special balloon is inserted to stretch;
- hemorrhage. During the operation for gastric bypass surgery is the incision of the intestine, and the patient must accept funds, blood thinners, however, this phenomenon is unlikely. According to statistics, only 1% after gastric bypass surgery you need to do a blood transfusion;
- infection. This is very rare with gastric bypass surgery and treated with antibiotics. Sometimes the doctors make a small incision. This allows for rapid cleansing of the wound, after which it is prolonged;
- hernia. This usually occurs with open surgery, but can occur with the gastric bypass that is very rare;
- vitamin deficiency. The result is gastric bypass surgery may be a shortage of nutrients, trace elements. This can lead to anemia, osteoporosis and fatigue. The use of vitamins solves this problem.
It is believed that if gastric bypass is performed by an experienced physician surgeon, this procedure is safe. What is the procedure you can find in any medical center.